Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I'm Going to Disney World!

"So Brian John, now that you've won the Super Bowl, what are you going to do now?"

"I'm going to Disney World!!"

Which is exactly what I told the flight attendants at the airport (really, really early in the morning the day we flew to Orlando)... not the part about the Super Bowl of course, but the part about Disney World! However, for the record, there may still be a chance that one day I will win the Super Bowl. That Brady guy seems to have it goin' on...
Here I am at the gates of The Magic Kingdom. And it is not just clever advertising either, as this place really is magic!!

"Well, hot dog, hot diggity dog! Walt, you've got yourself quite a place here!"
You really do need to nod your hat to ol' Walt. They say Disney is a place god could have created if he had had more imagination

(just a joke people)
My first celebrity encounter - Stitch!
(mom says he is no Jack Wagner though)

Since Dad hates roller coasters and I've never really been on one before, mom thought it was a great idea to force us to go on Space Mountain.
For anyone that has not experienced this ride, it is a 180 foot tall indoor roller coaster with 4.5 million cubic feet of space (enough to house a small skyscraper). The majority of the ride is spent completely in the dark... and mom would argue that it is better NOT to be able to see the twisty, turny, feel-like-you-will-puke-at-any-moment track anyway. Dad and I would argue otherwise.
All in all I would conclude that this was a questionable parenting decision by mom. Next time, she goes solo.

The roller coast that I DID LOVE however was Splash Mountain! Here is a shot of Dad and I as we begin our log-based adventure!
Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay... (for the monty python fans)

Wooo hoooo. Log rides rule!
Mom would disagree as she does like rides that leave you with wet bums and bad hair full of questionable theme park water
And despite the thrill of the big roller coasters, my absolute favourite ride was Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blaster in Tomorrowland. It is like a ride and target practice all in one.
Feeling the need to pay my debt to society and rid the planet of the Evil Emperor Zurg, I went on this ride twice - but asked my parents if I could go on it about every 5 minutes...
A close second was driving race cars around a track.
I channelled my inner Mario Andretti whose philosophy is 'if everything seems to be in control, you're not going fast enough!' It was very important to mom that I visit Tom Sawyer Island while at the Magic Kingdom. Mostly because she calls me her little Huckleberry - as both Huck Finn and I are young men full of intelligence, kindness, imagination and always up for games & adventure (Tom's or otherwise!)
Doc Holiday (played by Val Kilmer) in Tombstone said it best when responding to Johnny Ringo's gun challenge - "I'm your Huckleberry, that's just my game"

Now on to Dad's most dreaded ride of all time... worse than any of the tallest, fastest roller coasters in the world... the terrifying TEACUPS! :) Oh Dad.

Pure Disney classic and oh so much fun!

Mom and I competed on who could turn the cup faster while Dad did his best to concentrate on not throwing up on us.


And who could resist taking a ride on Dumbo?!! I could almost hear Jim Crow singing "I've seen a peanut stand, heard a rubber band, I've seen a needle that winked its eye, but I've seen about everything when I see an elephant fly!"


And the macdaddy of all Disney rides... which carries the tagline "the happiest cruise that ever sailed!" And I couldn't agree more (mine and mom's faces are proof of that in the pic below)

As Snow White would say "What do you do when things go wrong? Oh! You sing a song!"
Now, sing it with me, you all know the words "IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL, IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL, IT'S A SMALL, SMALL WORLD!!!


This place is a 5-year-old's dreamland!

And according to Cinderella "A dream is a wish your heart makes..." wait, who is Cinderella

again?? Apparently Disney World is full of princesses (who knew??). Mom kept pointing them out to me and asking if I wanted to meet them. She was quite dismayed at my consistent 'no thank yous' and total indifference to all things princess. Dad, however, was not dismayed by this at all.
Besides a plethora of princesses there are also parades at Disney World. You can see about 1,000 in two days time. Each one features the big man of course, as they should.


This one was at night and appropriately named the Electrical Parade


The Jolly Roger all lit up complete with a live action Captain Hook and Peter Pan duel...


...it is almost more than any boy can take! My brain is about to explode in this pic (so good thing mom bought me this goofy hat to keep it all in!)

I hear that the best time to go to Disney, if you want to avoid huge crowds, is 1962. And I might have enjoyed a few tasty treats during my stay at the Magic Kingdom... one every hour or so :) This pic is called 'sticky fingers' aka cotton candy hands


Mickey's lights are almost as good as mom's christmas decorations (mom - I said almost)










This Donald didn't talk, so I did my best Donald impression of "Oh boy oh boy oh boy!"

Frontier Land Donald Duck totally rocks. However, he is distant second to... ....



GOOFY!!

Now that is a genuine smile of pure joy.

Which made mom's heart absolutely melt. Thank you Disney


Walt was quoted as saying "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that of all this was all started by a mouse."
And for that Mickey got a BIG hug from me

And I even let him wear my hat.
As a side note my hat is now my prize Disney collectible item as it was signed by Donald, Goofy (who signed over Donald's name because he was offended that Donald had signed his goofy hat), Minnie and Mickey

Minnie seemed to really like dad a lot. We managed to get out though before mom started a fight (again, just a joke... okay, maybe not) And we wrapped up our Disney adventures with a very nice dinner at the Wilderness Lodge (which was also the hotel where we were staying)



A perfect way to end our magical trip

And as my buddy Mickey would say "It is the magic that begins the happily ever after"

No comments: