Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Valentine's Day To Remember!

This past Valentine's Day is one that I will remember forever!!

And it has nothing to do with hearts or love or presents or even candy.... no, this Valentine's was all about hockey! 

Feb 14, 2013 was the day that I scored my very first official goal as a York Mills Thunderbird!

At the beginning of the night, mom and dad were thrilled (not!) at the concept of spending a romantic night (not!) at the hockey rink with me.

And just as the first whistle sounded, signalling dad to take to the bench and mom to embrace her Valentine's fate (and her freezing toes), mom heard some very familiar voices behind her that made her grin from ear to ear...

Those voices belonged to the Garard's... they came to rink to watch me play!!!

Cupid had managed to bring me a very big (and a VERY loud) personal fan base!  I was the envy of all of the boys at the rink

Not surprisingly I love playing for a crowd, so I was at my very best that night

And as if my night couldn't get any better, Aunt Nancy brought me a Valentine's Day card (a Star Wars one of course) and lots of candy too!  

And then she asked me if I would be her Valentine... to which she received a resounding YES! Sorry Morgan, Aunt Nancy is a hard one to compete with.....

But back to my goal.... 

It was my second shift of the night... I raced down the right wing.... I passed the puck to my centreman Ray, who then took a shot on net.... at which time I raced up and firmly planted myself in the crease right in front of the goalie (despite the 6 other kids flailing all around me).... and I waited for my chance... waited for that rebound.... which fortuitously happened.... and then I fired it into the net right between the goalie's legs!  

My fan base, who were already very vocal before this point, went absolutely wild!! And I raised my hands and my stick in the air and had the biggest smile on my face as I skated back to centre ice.

This pic above is my post-game re-enactment of the stare-down I gave to the opposing team's goalie right before I scored on him! That's right, don't mess with #3 :)

As soon as I scored, Uncle Dave looked at mom and said "We have to get that puck!"... and how Dave managed to accomplish this feat will forever remain a mystery (it will always be Dave's little secret).  

But sure enough, not long after the conclusion of the game, Uncle Dave was passing the game puck to mom telling her to hide it in her purse so no one would see.  Of course, mom was more than a willing accomplice 

We then waited for the crowds to disperse and then we took copious amounts of photos featuring my puck!

A HUGE thank you to Uncle Dave, Aunt Nancy and Mike for coming out to cheer me on and helping to make this the best Valentine's Day ever!!

No comments: