Monday, April 08, 2013

World of Tanks

I am a boy in the truest sense of the word. For instance:
  •  Some of my favourite things include eating, fart jokes, sports, burping, trains, mud and dirt and Formula 1 racing (and, much to my parents’ dismay, Nascar as well)
  • My two highest marks in school are (1) math and (2) gym….. neatness of handwriting be damned!
  • My favourite movies include Star Wars, Iron Man and all 5 epic movies of the Fast and Furious franchise (yes, while questionable parenting, mom and dad let me watch Vin Diesel)
  • And from what I can understand there are only 3 Disney princesses who are named Cinderella, Beast and Barbie
 (note – this is in spite of the fact that I have been to the Magic Kingdom three times and my mother has a constant need to quiz me on the princesses and someone else named Mary Poppins. In my own defense, while I can’t remember anything past Cinderella, please feel free to ask me about the list of cars that were included in Nic Cage’s ‘steal list’ in the movie Gone in 60 Seconds. I can recite all of those no problem)
 
Therefore, as a boy in the truest sense of the word, when Dad decided to download an online game on his computer called ‘World of Tanks’ it is no surprise that I would take an active interest in it.
 
However, what my Dad failed to realize is that this new game would result in the creation of a tank-obsessed 6-year-old monster…. Or as mom refers to me “her little tankopedia”


 Almost every night for the past month, Dad and I sit on the couch together to play World of Tanks.
 
For you WOT virgins, it is a team-based multiplayer online action game dedicated to armored warfare in the middle of the 20th century. Dad and I throw ourselves into epic tank battles with other steel cowboys all over the world. And our arsenal includes more than 200 armored vehicles from America, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Soviet Union and China.
 
Most of the time Dad drives and I am the gunner. However, I have progressed to operating the tanks solo over the past week.


 
When I am not forcing Dad to upload the game every night, I regale anyone who will listen (including Harry the cat) about my successful European missions and stats about the different tanks that I have driven / sold / bought. Moreover, for the odd second or two when I am actually silent and mom asks me what I am thinking about – I always say the same thing ‘tanks mom. I am thinking about tanks’

 
And, if that isn’t enough, during my very limited spare time, I spend it either (1) drawing tank battles on paper or (2) building tanks out of lego. I have successfully built my own lego version of the following models: US Sherman, UK Churchill VII, Russian T-34 and my personal favourites, the German Panther and King Tiger tank.


If I haven’t hammered home yet how much I love tanks, when mom put me to bed last night I told her “mom, I think I actually like tanks more than Star Wars”. Now THAT is saying something


Be sure to tune into my blog for an eventual ‘tank intervention’ session in the near future :)

No comments: